USSR and USA journals

Nancy Condee condee at PITT.EDU
Thu May 29 20:19:28 UTC 2003

I believe (correct me if I am wrong here) that the protocol between USIA and
its Soviet partner stipulated that neither journal would circulate within
its own country--i.e., no _Amerika_ in the US and no _Soviet Life_ in the
USSR.

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU]On Behalf Of Valery Belyanin
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 4:04 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] USSR and USA journals

Dear SEELANGers

k> Dear colleagues,
k> I am looking for information on two journal
k> publications, The Soviet Union and The United States,
k> Kirstin Bebell

"Sovetskij Sojuz" (Soviet Union - in English) was of A4 format like 32
pages with rather "sweet" articles about Soviet life and a picture
(_reprodukcija_) inside. It was obligatory to sign for it for those
who worked abroad. The pictures could be put on the walls. It was not
very well known inside the country.
Another magazine was "Sputnik". It was really very good. It was also for
export, but very vivid and not too flat (resembles by format "Reader's
digest" if one fills it with politics).
Published by the govt of US the magazine "America" (50 kopeek almost
A4 12 times a year) and by Gr.Britain "Anglia" (40 kopeek - 1/2 A4 6 times a
year) were allowed for subscription among _nomenklatura_. Anglia was
less filled with propaganda...
Years ago I had almost full collection of "Amerika" and "Anglia" at my
dacha...

Best regards, Valery Belyanin
 Editor of www.textology.ru