Polish language textbooks; East and Central European Literature

Svetlana Grenier greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Fri May 30 23:17:28 UTC 2003

Dear SEELANGers,

Last year people helped me out a great deal when I was trying to choose a
textbook for first-year Polish.  Many, many thanks to all who sent their
advice!!  To report on the results:  I picked Uczmy sie polskiego (Miodunka's
video course), and the video part was useful; however, I had to supplement it a
lot, and in the end am not sure it was worth it.  Mind you, I had been forewarned
that this would probably happen, but I heedlessly forged ahead.  In retrospect, I
think that Czesc, jak sie masz? would have been a better choice!
Now I have another question:  what would you recommend for the second year?
(after the non-intensive first: we covered all cases except the vocative and all
tenses in the indicative, but this all would need to be reviewed!)  Is there a
book that would have, among other things, grammar charts?  I would be very
thankful for any reflections on your experience with the books you have used!

My second question/appeal is:  has anyone here taught a course on the literature
of East and Central Europe, and would you be willing to share your syllabi or
give any suggestions on the works to be included in such a general course?  I
would be very much obliged!!

Sincerely,

Svetlana Grenier