NY Times on foreign languages

Mills Charles cmills at KNOX.EDU
Wed Nov 5 06:28:39 UTC 2003

>From this morning's NY Times article
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/05/politics/05INTE.html
(“C.I.A. Needs to Learn Arabic, House Committee Leader Says” ) on US
intelligence community's language capacity:

“We've been working on language capability for a number of years,” said the
C.I.A. official, who added that the agency had increased hiring bonuses and
other inducements.

But Mr. Goss was sharply critical, saying the agency sometimes seemed
hamstrung by uncertainty over which languages it might need most in the future,
when “the answer is we need them all.”

---