INFO: Unicode support in MS Office 2003

Wed Nov 12 20:40:20 UTC 2003

Bruno Aeschbacher <yh.onurb at SWISSONLINE.CH> wrote:

>According to the following links, Microsoft Office 2003 and, in particular,
>Outlook 2003, is now fully Unicode enabled. This means that Contacts, Tasks
>and mail subject headers can now be written in Cyrillic, Greek, etc. if your
>system meets certain criteria.
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2003/four/ch17/default.htm
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2003/four/ch17/IntF01.htm
>
>Please note that I have not tested it and that I can therefore not make any
>comment based on experience. I have been looking for a solution to use Greek
>and Cyrillic characters in MS Outlook for quite some time and was happy to
>find above links.

The chain is only as strong as the weakest link. If you send advanced email
messages and somewhere along the way they pass through primitive servers, they
will get garbled no matter how good you are. Just look at the message Michael
Roehrig sent at 19:06 his time, whose subject line arrived looking like this (if
we look at its underlying source code):

Re:RE:_POL_News_from_fascist_Überland_              =28in_Ge__rman=29

but displayed in the primitive webmail I am now being forced to use like this:

RE: =?ISO8859-1?Q?RE:

(the rest was cut off).

Still looking forward to the day when all this will be resolved...

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com