Clarification: Church Slavonic: petli?

Stuart Goldberg stuart.goldberg at MODLANGS.GATECH.EDU
Tue Nov 18 19:15:13 UTC 2003

One clarification:  My query is regarding the Church Slavonic word for
petukh/petukhi (not the word "petlia").

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of Stuart Goldberg
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 1:12 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Church Slavonic: petli?

Dear SEELANGERS,

Can anyone tell me what plural form was used for the Church Slavonic
word "petel'" (with a iat' of course for the first e and er', not er''
as the final letter)?  "Petel'" with that spelling is given in Pamva
Berynda's Leksikon slaveno-rosskii i imen tolkovanie (Kiev, 1627) and
Slovar' tserkovno-slavianskago i russkago iazyka, sostavlennyi vtorym
otdieleniem Imperatorskoi akademii nauk. 2. izd. Sanktpeterburg, Tip.
Imperatorskoi akademii nauk, 1867-1868, as well as found in the Slavonic
Elizavetinskaia bibliia.  In the bible, as far as I can tell, where
there would be a plural in Russian translation, the word
"petloglashenie" is used.  So, is the plural "petli" (reflecting the
fleeting vowel in "petloglashenie"), "peteli" (cf. "seiateli,"
"zhiteli," etc.) or both at different times.

Less urgently, I am curious if anyone has any ideas regarding the
distribution of the forms "petel''" (pl. "petely") and "petel'" in
Church writing, services, etc.

I would be very grateful for any assistance,

Stuart Goldberg
Georgia Tech