thee queries

seelangs seelangs at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 1 15:50:23 UTC 2003

Dear Giampaolo:

The Rilke quote comes from the first tale of _Stories of God_ (inspired by
one of his trips to Russia) - "How Treachery Came to Russia", although I
believe it refers to Rus and not Russia per se. There are also similar
sentiments in a letter to Helene Voronina of 27 July 1899. See Anna
Tavis' -_Rilke's Russia_ for much more information than I can give you.

Tom Dolack
University of Oregon
tdolack at uoregon.edu

----- Original Message -----
From: "Giampaolo Gandolfo" <gianpaolo.gandolfo at FASTWEBNET.IT>
To: <SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 1:06 AM
Subject: [SEELANGS] thee queries

     Dear all,
        In 1898 Lev Tolstoy succeeded in sending to Canada a certain number
of molokane who continued living together in colonies using Russian as their
mother tongue. Do they still exist as nationally conscious communities?
Where, exactly?

What is the right pronounciation of "Maude", Tolstoy's translator into
English?

I remember reading somewhere that Rilke once termed Russia  "a country
bordering with God". Can anyone tell me when and where?

Thank you
                    Giampaolo Gandolfo

P. S.: If anyone prefers to reply off list here is my e-mail:
gianpaolo.gandolfo at fastwebnet.it