Fw: CFP - BASEES 2004 - linguistics, language pedagogy, translation

Andrew Jameson a.jameson at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Thu Oct 2 08:29:24 UTC 2003

and E European Studies annual conference in Cambridge (2004) again. We are just about on the
deadline now, but contact the convenor straightaway if you would like to offer something.
Andrew Jameson
Chair, Russian Committee, ALL
Reviews Editor, Rusistika
Listowner russian-teaching list
Freelance tutor and translator
1 Brook Street
Lancaster LA1 1SL UK
Tel/fax 01524 32371
www.all-languages.org.uk

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil Bermel" <n.bermel at sheffield.ac.uk>
To: <n.bermel at sheffield.ac.uk>
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 10:18 AM
Subject: CFP - BASEES 2004 - linguistics, language pedagogy, translation

CALL FOR PAPERS
BASEES - BRITISH ASSOCIATION FOR SLAVONIC AND EAST EUROPEAN STUDIES
3 - 5 APRIL 2004
FITZWILLIAM COLLEGE, CAMBRIDGE

Dear colleagues,

It was good to see so many of you at this year's conference.  For BASEES
2004, we invite you to submit abstracts for complete panels and individual
papers are invited in all areas of linguistics, language pedagogy and
translation studies.  This year's conference saw approximately 20
presentations in the field, covering areas including sociolinguistics,
dialectology, generative linguistics, instructional technology, and
translation.  The conference overall had over 200 presenters in a variety
of subjects, including history, literature and cultural studies, sociology,
economics, and politics.  The deadline for abstracts is 1 October
2003.  More information is available on the BASEES website:

www.basees.org.uk

As you know, BASEES welcomes participation from UK and non-UK scholars,
whether members of academic staff or postgraduate students.  We encourage
the submission of complete panels (3 speakers, or 2 speakers plus
discussant) but do not require it.

After four years organising the linguistics subject stream for BASEES, I'm
pleased to be handing over the reins to my eminently capable successor, Dr
Jan Fellerer.  Many of you will know Jan from previous BASEES conferences;
he lectures in Polish and Russian language and linguistics at Oxford
University, and his research focuses on historical syntax and word order.

Jan will be starting his duties on 1 October; therefore, you can send all
abstracts IN LINGUISTICS, LANGUAGE TEACHING AND TRANSLATION STUDIES
directly to him (jan.fellerer at wolfson.ox.ac.uk).  However, any preliminary
enquiries in linguistics, language teaching and translation studies about
housing, travel, etc. before the abstract deadline of 1 OCTOBER should be
sent to me (n.bermel at sheffield.ac.uk).  Participants will be notified of
the status of their submission by the end of November.  Submissions and
enquiries in the other fields represented at the conference should go to
the respective subject organiser (see the website for more information).

(Please note that BASEES does not undertake to fund all scholars whose
papers are accepted; participants must count on paying their own travel and
conference expenses.  Some funding is available for postgraduate students
at UK universities.)

I've enjoyed handling the linguistics side of the conference these last few
years, especially for the chance it's given me to meet so many of you
electronically and in person, and hope you will continue to support BASEES
through your participation in next year's conference and beyond.

Best regards,

Neil

Neil Bermel
Russian and Slavonic Studies