Belarusian Touring Theatre Company

James Mallinson rocketvmpr at YAHOO.COM
Sun Oct 19 18:27:07 UTC 2003

Greetings from Vitebsk!

My name is James Mallinson and I am a graduate student from Florida State
University in Theatre Management.  I am serving my internship at the
National Academic Dramatic Yakub Kolas Theatre in Vitebsk.  I was referred
to this listserv by Dr. Curt Woolhiser, President of the North American
Association for Belarusian Studies.

The Yakub Kolas Theatre is the second-largest theatre company in Belarus
and the premiere touring company.  The company has toured to the United
Kingdom for the East goes West Festival in London, has won the Scotsman's
prestigious "Fringe First" award at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, the
Grand Prix from the Goethe Institute at the Festival of Modern German
Drama, performed at the Espace Pierre Cardin in Paris, as well as touring
to Italy, Russia, Poland, and Moldova.  Currently, plans are underway to
take the theatre to Belgium, Germany, and possibly even Japan.

Sadly, however, this theatre company has never set foot on the North
American continent.

I came to Belarus to serve as their International Contact Manager, and I
have made it my personal mission to see that the Western hemisphere has
an opportunity to experience the excellence of their work.  I have already
begun compiling information for budgets, and I had a meeting with the
Public Affairs Office of the United States Embassy in Minsk two weeks ago,
where my idea was met with great enthusiasm.

Due to the varied repertoire and academic experience of this theatre, I
believe that it has a great deal to offer universities for not only
students of Theatre and Slavic Languages, but students of Art/Art History
and Jewish Studies.

If any of you are interested in hosting this remarkable company at your
respective universities, I am eager to share what plans I have already
formulated.

Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to corresponding with
you in the future.

Sincerely,

James Mallinson
rocketvmpr at yahoo.com