English Grammar: definite article: lakes

Tue Oct 21 12:52:11 UTC 2003

Anna Plisetskaya wrote:

 > Dear English native speakers,
 >
 > Could you please help me solve one problem concerning the usage of
 > articles. The respected Murphy Grammar tells us that we use THE with
 > the names of seas, rivers, oceans (e.g. the River Volga), but we do
 > not use THE before the word LAKE (e.g. lake Constance)., while many
 > Russian textbooks add that we should use THE with the names of lakes
 > and omit it if the word LAKE is present (e.g. lake Baikal, but the
 > Baikal). I wonder if they are right: shall I explain the students
 > that we say the Baikal but Lake Baikal? To tell the truth, I've
 > always believed we shouldn't use THE in both cases. Could you please
 > put an end to my doubts?

For simple named lakes in America (I don't claim to know the British
practice), the only options are forms like "Lake Huron" and "Huron" (you
can also say "the lake" without naming it if its identity is clear).

Compare "Mount Everest," "Everest," and "the mountain."

There are a few exceptions with complex names: "the Lake of the Woods,"
for example, where the modifier requires the article.

The practice is different with rivers: we say either "the Hudson River"
or "the Hudson." Americans will recognize "the River Hudson" as a
literary affectation, but they will not generally produce it.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com