FOOD short stories/poems

Leslie Farmer Zemedelec at AOL.COM
Thu Sep 4 00:08:16 UTC 2003

The first story that comes to mind is Isak Dinesen's (Karen Blixen's)
"Babette's Feast." On a more modern note, one of Trevanian's spy novels features a
gourmet dinner ordered by a man who can eat very little--in fact, is dying.
There was a longish story or report in the New Yorker about one of Francois
Mitterand's last meals--supposedly, orlotans. Wislawa Szymborska wrote a poem
about The Onion, included in English translation in a volume of her collected
works.   There is a huge, delicious (and, eventually, uneaten) spread in Keats'
"St. Agnes' Eve". In "Postrizeni" Hrabal wrote at length about the collection of
mushrooms.   And that's all the literary food I can bear to contemplate at
the moment, probably because I ate too much of a thin-crust pizza (mushroom and
onion).