A TASTY LIST of FOOD short stories/poems

mhron mhron at UMICH.EDU
Thu Sep 4 15:05:39 UTC 2003

Dear Seelangers:

I would just like to thank all of you for your delectable suggestions that
you sent me off line!  I opened my box this morning and it was full of
tasty morsels for me to sample...!! It is clear that all of you enjoy
food... ;-)

Since many of you offered me so many treats, I thought that perhaps you
might be interested in the smorgasbord menu that was prepared for me. So I
compiled a list of food stuff. I was also sent many a savory synopses and
some appetizing recipes, but those will remain secrets of the chef... ;-)

- Please to the Table by Anya?Von?Bremzen, includes little snippets of
Russian food-related prose (Chekhov and the like) as well as general
discussions of Russian food customs.

-  The Domostroi (in Carolyn Pouncys wonderful translation, if you need it
in English)

-  Joyce Toomre's translation of Podarok molodym khoziajkam, Classic
Russian Cooking: Elena MolokhovetsA Gift to Young Housewives.

- Nadezhda Teffi story called  'Love' (from GORODOK 1927)

- Shalamov story about the narrator NOT eating a piece of bread entrusted
to him by another zek.

- any number of camp works by Varlam Shalamov (esp. Lend-Lease, A Piece of
Meat). - - Sukhovo-Kobylin's short comic play "Smert' Tarelkina"

- Chekhovs "The Stupid Frenchman" (Glupyi frantsuz) and  "The Siren."

- Gorky's "26 Men and One Girl"

- Bunin's "Antonovskie iabloki"

- Vysotsky's "Esli b vodka byla na odnogo" (vodka) and  Vysotsky's "Smotriny"

- Isak Dinesen's (Karen Blixen's) "Babette's Feast.

- report in the New Yorker about one of Francois Mitterand's last meals.

- Wislawa Szymborska's poem "The Onion"

- Keats' "St. Agnes' Eve"

- Hrabal's "Postrizeni"

- Charles Simic short essays (and, I believe, poems) about food.

- Dostoevsky's Skvernyi anekdot has a good dinner scene.

- Zoshchenko stories

- Tarasov-Rodionovs novella Chocolate

- Kollontai's Love of the Worker Bees (Vasilissa Malygina).

- just about everything Platonov wrote.

- Ron LeBlancs articles

- Issac Babel's "My First Goose."

- Virginia Woolf's lunch description

- Gogol's  descriptions of dinners in"the inspector general;"

- Tolstoys Anna Karenina.

- Solzhenitsyn's _One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich_ or _Cancer Ward_

- "Mieso" ("Meat"), film by Piotr Szulkin,

-  film "Chef in Love"

Thank you all again!
Bon appetit!
Madelaine