Czech "h" sound

Mills Charles cmills at KNOX.EDU
Tue Sep 9 10:12:35 UTC 2003

>I always thought that Czech "h" is pronounced exactly like Belarusan or
>Ukrainian "h". Now that I am in Prague, I noticed that people pronounce
>it exactly as an English "h". It seems, especially the young people,
>though on TV and on the radio it sounds fine. Is it just some problem
>with my hearing or there is something wrong here?

I can't speak to Belarussian and Ukrainian, but I don't think it's the same as the English /h/.  If English /h/ is a delayed onset of voicing, Czech /h/ strikes me as voiced throughout, sort of a "breathy voice" as described in Ladefoged.  I was greatful to the Czech who finally pointed out (with a laugh!) that I was getting my /h/ wrong.  :-)

Sincerely,
Charles
---