Bunin and intelligentnost'

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri Sep 12 01:32:30 UTC 2003

I have read the previous exchange, and agree with the meaning of the
word 'intelligentnost'. However, we need a translation here. We do
associate (if not equate) 'intelligentnost' with higher education. Of
course, the prolifiration of uneducated people with diplomas has
changed this recently, but it was not necessarily the case in pre-war
time. So I would say that for this young widow from Latvia "higher
education [is] not essential".

You have to realize also that a great many taxi drivers in Paris at
that time were highly educated people of the gentry, white Russians.
She is looking for a chauffeur, not necessarily a prince.

--
Alina Israeli

phone:  (202) 885-2387
fax:    (202) 885-1076