Study Abroad Question

Renee Stillings | Alinga renee at ALINGA.COM
Mon Sep 15 12:48:49 UTC 2003

Both conservatories (Moscow and St. Petersburg) in theory have possibilities
(stazhirovka) but are either quite difficult to enter or are very expensive.
What we have recommended to students who are interested in music is taking a
language program as a base and then we arrange separately for music study
that is appropriate to their level and budget - which can range from study
with a graduate student at one of the conservatories to workshops with a
full professor there.

There tend to be more "organized" summer programs associated with both
conservatories during the summer - as an example, the White Nights Summer
School at the Rachmaninoff Conservatory - you can read more about this at
http://www.sras.org/program.phtml?m=53. Again, these types of programs share
some common features in that they are intended for a very high level of
performance major, are expensive (especially for Russia), and generally are
for more independent students.

Fairly advanced speakers of Russian might also enjoy our "Russian
Civilization" program (http://www.sras.org/program.phtml?m=14), a component
of which is music history in Russia.

Renee Stillings
SRAS