creating pdf files with Russian language texts

Wed Sep 17 01:30:18 UTC 2003

Joshua First wrote:

> On a similar note, I've been looking for a text scanner (one that has
> conversion to Word format) that will work with cyrillic fonts.  Does
> anybody know where I might find such a thing?

I can also vouch for ABBYY Fine Reader Pro as an excellent program. It
has its own built-in dictionary, and you can add new words as paradigms.
When you tell it to add a word, it will prompt you for information such
as animate/inanimate so it can build the paradigm.

Output can be sent to the Clipboard or to Word, Excel, or WordPerfect,
and also to your default email client. My personal preference is to send
to the Clipboard and paste into Word, because I like to do my own
formatting. However, it can be more convenient at times, e.g. when the
source text contains tables, to export directly to Word.

FRP does a pretty good job of analyzing page layout, but it's usually a
good idea to review and tweak its layout analysis before proceeding to
the word recognition phase.

My biggest complaint -- and this is a very minor one that may have been
fixed in version 6 -- is that hyphenated words at page breaks are not
rejoined. Each page is treated as an independent entity, so you will
always get a paragraph break at that point, and FRP will not recognize
the two segments unless they happen to look like words by accident.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com