slavic diversity?

David J. Galloway dgallowa at TWCNY.RR.COM
Sat Sep 20 02:27:05 UTC 2003

Dear SEELANGERs,

I'm looking for hard data on contemporary racial diversity in both student
and faculty populations, within the North American Slavic field, and
primarily in language teaching.  All I have to go on at this point is
anecdotal impressions--and what I need are statistics.  Does anyone track
this information, or know where I might find it?

The related question is this--my impression is that Russian language courses
do not attract a diverse student body.  (1) is that correct? (2) why is that
so? (3) what can we do, or what have others done, to change that--since
broadening our appeal on any level would be a good thing (!)?

Thanks in advance!
DJG

______________________________

David J. Galloway