AATSEEL 2003 Conference Preregistration

jschill jschill at AMERICAN.EDU
Mon Sep 22 12:14:30 UTC 2003

OOPS!  Apologies to all for not noticing that I was using a SEELANGS
e-mail from Kathleen Dillon to respond re: conference registration.
    However, as a result I received the following message from James
West that will be of use to many of us, and I'll pass it on:

Just a quiet word back-channel from a fellow SEELANGer who is, amongs
other
things, a Web developer....  Yes, your OS 8.6 and your Netscape 4.7 are
seriously out of date, and cannot be expected to render many of today's
websites correctly -- upgrades are definitely in order!  OS 9, Windows
98,
Netscape 6 and MSIE 5.5 are the "floor" now, and the standard is OS 10,
Windows XP, Netscape 7 and MSIE 6.  Web developers no longer feel
obliged to
make their sites usable with Netscape 4.* or MSIE 5.0 or lower, since
they
cannot render correctly a great deal of what is now standard coding in
HTML
4.1, CSS 2 or Javascript 2.1.
--

John Schillinger

Dept. of Language and Foreign Studies

American University

4400 Massachusetts Ave., Washington DC 20016-8045

Ph. (Off) 202/885-2395

Fax (Off) 202/885-1076

Weekends & Summer:

192 High St., Strasburg VA 22657