Fwd: Russian History Question

Adrian Wanner ajw3 at PSU.EDU
Mon Sep 22 14:23:42 UTC 2003

I am forwarding a question from a student of mine. Does anyone have the answer?
Thanks,
Adrian Wanner

>I am working currently on my chapter about representations of Russia
>in trademarks registered with the Parisian Tribunal de Commerce
>between 1856 and 1894.  I keep running across the expression "Za
>Veru, Tsarya i Otechestvo" and its equivalent in French in the
>trademarks.  It echoes of course "Pravoslaviye, Samoderzhaviye i
>Narodnost'".  Is the first expression a later version of the 1833
>Uvarov expression of Official Nationality?  Was this phrase used in
>tandem with "Pravoslaviye, etc."?  I can't seem to find much on "Za
>Veru, etc.".  Any information or suggestions you might have would be
>much appreciated.
>
>Thank you in advance for your help,
>
>Christi Brookes

Adrian J. Wanner
Professor of Russian and Comparative Literature
Head, Department of Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures
The Pennsylvania State University
313 Burrowes Building
University Park, PA 16802

Tel. (814) 865-5481 (o),  (814) 234-1289 (h)
Fax  (814) 863-8882
http://slavic.la.psu.edu/wanner01.htm