National COLLEGE RUSSIAN CENSUS, and Career database NOW UNDERWAY

John Schillinger jschill at AMERICAN.EDU
Thu Sep 25 21:23:37 UTC 2003

  As announced last spring on SEELANGS and in the ACTR, AATSEEL, and
AAASS newletters, this fall the Committee on College and Pre-College
Russian (CCPCR) is initiating an annual national census of 1st and 2nd
year college level Russian programs, as well as a national data base of
career paths taken by Russian program graduates.  CCPCR has conducted an
annual pre-college census since 1984.  This college-level census comes
at the request of colleagues across the country.

      This information will be posted as it is received on the CCPCR
website at :
http://www.american.edu/research/CCPCR/  (or just enter CCPCR in a
search engine, such as GOOGLE)

    To participate in the census, we ask that representatives of
college-level programs offering first- and second-year Russian e-mail to
us at ccpcr at american.edu. the following information:

Name of college or university,  # of students enrolled in 1st year,  #
of students in 2nd year, name of contact person, e-mail address of
contact person, e.g.:

American University, 1st yr 35, 2nd yr 14, John Schillinger,
ccpcr at american.edu.

All data will be posted on the CCPCR website for the benefit of the
discipline.

In addition, we are collecting information to help our programs respond
to requests for data about our graduates from university administrators
and potential students.  We are asking graduates themselves and programs
that have such information to share it with the profession by e-mailing
it to us at ccpcr at american.edu.  For this database the information we
are posting is as in the following fictitious entries:

Institution:  American Univ.
Program     M.A. Russian w/ business concen.
Year of graduation  1998
Name of graduate    Stephanie Schmidt
Current Position/Status    account mgr., Yukos Oil Corp., Moscow

Institution:  Univ. of Wisconsin
Program     B.A. in Russian
Year of graduation 2002
Name of graduate   James Glinka
Current Position/Status   M.A. in Russian Lit. program, Brown Univ.

These entries will also be posted on the CCPCR website.

    Many thanks in advance for your participation-and please spread the
word!

John Schillinger, Chair, CCPCR

Dept. of Language and Foreign Studies

4400 Massachusetts Ave. NW