Penguin Classics Book of Russian Short Stories

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Mon Sep 29 11:25:44 UTC 2003

Dear all,

This will not be published until early 2005, but I have now done most of the
work.  Here is the contents list.  If anyone has a special interest in any
particular writer, and time to check through a story, I'd be delighted to
email texts to them.  I have revised all these translations many times, but
I know from experience that a fresh and attentive reader can always spot
passages that need to be improved.  Except where indicated, all the stories
are translated, or co-translated, by myself.

Thanks in advance,

Robert Chandler

        PENGUIN  STORIES

440 PAGES        175,000 WORDS

Pushkin        The Queen of Spades
Lermontov          The Fatalist
Gogol            The Greatcoat
Turgenev        The Knocking, tr. Dewhirst
Dostoevsky          Bobok
Tolstoy         God sees the Truth, but waits

Leskov        A slight mistake, tr. Bromfield
            The Steel Flea, tr. Edgerton

Chekhov      The Malefactor
            Kashtanka
            Untitled
            In the Cart, tr. Bartlett

Zinovieva-Annibal     The Monster, tr. Costlow

Bunin             Gentleman from San Fr., tr. D.H. Lawrence/Koteliansky
                  Sunstroke
                  In Paris

Teffi             A Family Journey
                  A Radiant Easter

Zamyatin        The Lion, tr. Richards    ???

Inber             Lyalya¹s Interests, tr. Turnbull
Bulgakov          The Embroidered Towel, tr. Glenny
Tsvetaeva        A mother¹s tale, tr. Gambrell

Babel       My First Goose
            Dolgushov

Zoshchenko   The bath-house
            Pelageya
            Electrification/Poverty
            Sobachy nyukh
            The Crisis
            Galosh
            Simplicity of Soul
            The Hat

Dobychin         Medical Auxiliary
                 Father
                  Please Do
                  Tea

Platonov         The Return
                 The Third Son

Kharms       The Old Woman

Shalamov    Through the snow
            The Duck
            Someone Else¹s Bread
            Snake Charmer
            Berries

Solzhenitsyn     What a Pity
Shukshin        In Autumn, tr. Given
Asar Eppel        Red Caviar Sandwiches, tr. Turnbull
Dovlatov,         Officer¹s Belt    , tr. Turnbull
Buida,            Sindbad the Sailor