Idiom question

Pavel Lyssakov Lyssakov at EU.SPB.RU
Mon Apr 26 14:46:02 UTC 2004

"Otdaet (snimaet s sebia) posledniuiu paru shtanov," I suppose, and I can
understand what they mean, but "sniat' s sebia posledniuiu rubashku" is much
more common.

Pavel Lyssakov

Dr Pavel Lyssakov
Director, International Programmes and Development
Faculty of Political Science and Sociology
The European University at St Petersburg
Phone/Fax: +7 (812) 279-44-02
Fax: +7 (812) 275-51-33

-----Original Message-----
From: Slavic & East European Languages and Literature list
[mailto:SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU] On Behalf Of ROEBUCK-JOHNSON, AIMEE M.
(JSC-AH) (NASA)
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 6:30 PM
To: SEELANGS at LISTSERV.CUNY.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Idiom question

In a April 19 article from the Associated Press about Russian-American space
cooperation (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4772754
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4772754> ) my student read the following

But there are tensions. The Russians want more recognition from NASA for
their efforts to keep the space station manned at the expense of its own
space programs.

"Russia is taking off its last pair of pants, while the United States and
Japan are cutting down their (space) budgets," said Sergei Gorbunov, the
chief spokesman for Russia's space agency. "This cannot last long."

Could you please tell me whether to take off one's last pair of pants is a
Russian idiom and, if so, how it would be in Russian?

Thank you in advance.

Aimee Roebuck-Johnson
English/Russian Language Instructor
English Program Administrator