Fwd: How are large numbers written in former Yugoslavia?

Russell Valentino russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Thu Aug 12 06:18:22 UTC 2004

A colleague in the Iowa Testing Program is preparing math tests for children
who's first language is Bosnian, Serbian, or Croatian. She asks the question
below. Anyone with an answer, please reply to me off list, and I'll be happy to
forward responses to her.

Thank you.

Russell Valentino

----- Forwarded message from Gayle Bray <gayle-bray at uiowa.edu> -----

In making inquires about how numbers over 10,000 are notated, I have heard a
variety of things from several reliable sources. X told me that in some areas,
a comma is used to separate the groups of figures, as in the U.S., and in other
areas a period is used. A second person told me that a small space is used. Yet
another person said she remembers using a small space OR a period.
        Of course, it's possible that there are regional differences
or generational differences. Do you have any idea how kids nowadays
are taught to write these numbers in the countries of the former
Yugoslavia?
----- End forwarded message -----