Svetlana Khorkina

Elif Batuman alif at STANFORD.EDU
Tue Aug 24 02:19:45 UTC 2004

Dear Seelangers,

I was wondering whether any of you watched the NBC coverage of the women's
all-round gymnastics in the Olympics?  There was an interview with
Svetlana Khorkina, in which she is quoted as saying: "I want to win a gold
medal as much as I want to mother my own child."  I was wondering - did
anyone catch this phrase in Russian?  I looked online but could only find
references to the English translation (I guess, since the interview was
only aired by NBC).  I was actually wondering whether it might be a
mistranslation(?).

Thanks in advance,
Elif Batuman