Music in Chekhov's Ivanov

Danielle Amato danielle at STUDIOTHEATRE.ORG
Wed Aug 25 20:01:25 UTC 2004

Hello!

I am working on a production of Chekhov's Ivanov, and I have been trying to
track down sheet music or recordings of the songs that appear throughout.
I've had some luck, but a few of the references have totally stumped me. If
anyone is familiar with the music, a nudge in the right direction would be
greatly appreciated!

Best,
Danielle

Act 1, Scene 2.
Borkin: (Ïðûãàåò.) Ïîåäó, ïîåäó... (Ïîåò.) Ïîåäó...
[Borkin: (Prygaet.) Poedu, poedu... (Poet.) Poedu... ]

Act 2.
Borkin's singing "Nicolas-voila" when he comes in -- a French song, but I
haven't been able to find music for it.

Act 3, Scene 2.
Lebedev: Ýñêóëàïèè  íàøå  íèæàéøåå...  (Ïîäàåò  Ëüâîâó  ðóêó  è
ïîåò.) "Äîêòîð, áàòþøêà, ñïàñèòå, ñìåðòè äî ñìåðòè áîþñü..."
[Lebedev: (Podaet  L'vovu  ruku  i  poet.) "Doktor, batyushka, spasite,
smerti do smerti boyus'..."]

Act 3, Scene 8.
Borkin: Øåë çà ïðîçîé, à íàòêíóëñÿ íà ïîýçèþ... (Ïîåò.) "ßâèëàñü òû, êàê
ïòàøêà ê ñâåòó..."
[Borkin: Shel za prozoj, a natknulsya na poeziyu... (Poet.) "Yavilas' ty,
kak ptashka k svetu..."]

And then there's the phrase that Anna Petrovna repeats in Act 1 that our
translation lists as a song, but the original does not: "Öâåòû ïîâòîðÿþòñÿ
êàæäóþ âåñíó, à ðàäîñòè íåò." [Tsvety povtoryayutsya kazhduyu vesnu, a
radosti net.]

Many thanks, and apologies in advance for any transliteration errors!

____
Danielle Mages Amato
Dramaturg / Literary Associate
The Studio Theatre