a song quoted in Moscow on the Hudson

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Thu Dec 2 02:49:07 UTC 2004

Slava Paperno wrote:

>Could someone tell me the title/composer of the song that's used in Moscow on the Hudson when the tour bus stops outside Bloomingsdale?
>
>Na stadiony / Nesut znamenq / Gornisty veselo trubyat...Pod nashimi sportivnymi znamenami... / Pod nashimi znamenami sovetskaya shagaet molodezh'

       This is reminiscent of "Pod nashimi znamenami" (words by Iakov
Khelemskii, music by Matvei Blanter):
             Nad stadionami
             Tsvetut znamena.
             Vykhodit molodost' i sila na torzhestvennyi parad.
             Vo slavu iunykh
             Na vsekh tribunakh
             Gremiat privetstviia i vympely pariat.

             Pripev:  Pod nashimi sportivnymi znamenami
                         Shagaem, solntsem i vetrami zakalennye.
                         [...]
                         Pod nashimi znamenami
                         Sportivnaia shagaet molodezh'!

There are two additional stanzas, but no _gornisty_.  There apparently
were variants of the text, however.  The above version is from a 1962
songbook.  In a 1964 collection of Blanter's songs the last line of the
refrain is "Sovetskaia [not: Sportivnaia] shagaet molodezh'!"

Bob Rothstein