Panel Idea for the 2005 AAASS Conference

Adrian Wanner ajw3 at PSU.EDU
Wed Dec 8 17:46:15 UTC 2004

Dear Colleagues,
I am thinking of organizing a panel on contemporary "translingual"
Russian (or Slavic) authors for next year's AAASS Conference in Salt
Lake City. Several younger Russian writers have been quite successful
lately in writing in a language different from their mother tongue,
e.g., Andrei  Makine in France, Wladimir Kaminer in Germany, Gary
Shteyngart in the US.  No doubt there are more examples (e.g., in
Israel?).  How are we supposed to categorize these writers in terms
of national identity?
It seems to me that this topic would blend in well with the
conference theme for next year, which is "One area or parts of
several? Political, economic, and cultural boundaries of the AAASS
region in the 21st Century."
If you are interested in participating, or know of other people who
might be, please drop me a line.
Best,
Adrian Wanner

Adrian J. Wanner
Head, Department of Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures
Professor of Russian and Comparative Literature
The Pennsylvania State University
313 Burrowes Building
University Park, PA 16802

Tel. (814) 865-5481