job opportunity

Jane Hacking J.Hacking at M.CC.UTAH.EDU
Tue Dec 14 20:46:35 UTC 2004

I am posting this for a friend. Please reply to the email below.

The Butler Hill Group, a small consulting company, seeks a Russian linguist
(native-level fluency) to perform a number of tasks related to a
Russian-language natural language processing system under development,
including consulting with linguists, syntacticians, lexicographers, and
developers during the development process, and then performing quality
assurance (testing) of the output. Sample tasks might include verifying the
accuracy of parse trees, setting lexical (semantic) features on dictionary
entries, and testing the output of an English-Russian machine translation
system.

Candidates should be native or near-native speakers of Russian, with academic
or professional background in Russian linguistics, especially syntax, strong
computer skills in a Windows environment, excellent communication skills in
English, and a detail-oriented personality. The ideal candidate would be
close enough to our client in Redmond, WA, to work on-site one day per week,
working remotely the rest of the time; however, we will also consider
someone off-site who would work entirely remotely, though some travel may be
required.

This is an excellent opportunity for a graduate student or junior faculty
seeking extra income; we can accomodate many unusual scheduling and
telecommuting requirements. The ideal schedule would include some early
morning availability (Pacific Time).

US residents must have US work authorization (US citizen or permanent
resident). Unfortunately, the Butler Hill Group cannot sponsor employment
visas.

Must have regular, secure access (e.g. not a public machine) to a machine
running a recent version of Windows, with good Internet connectivity.

This is part-time contract work, 10-20 hours/week. A professional hourly
rate will be paid, as 1099 self-employment income.

To apply, please send a cover letter and resume or CV, in English,
(by Dec. 31, 2004) to Margaret Salome,v-marsal at microsoft.com

--
Dr. Jane F. Hacking, Associate Professor of Russian
Department of Languages and Literature

http://www.hum.utah.edu/languages/index.html  professional
http://home.comcast.net/~annepike/index.htm  my mother's - always
good for a laugh.