Term query: Rector, prorector

Russell Valentino russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Thu Dec 16 05:02:14 UTC 2004

My first impulse would be to leave rector as rector but change pro to vice
rector. The words do exist in English, though the first few dictionary
definitions will probably most often have something to do with the Anglican
Church rather than administrators in Central and East European universities.
I've seen and heard the terms used in English as part of introductions, and
they're now part of quite a few web sites and on-line CVs, which seems to have
created a critical mass of usage.

Two cents.

Russell