Amusing debate over language in Ukraine -- and a question

Fri Dec 17 06:02:11 UTC 2004

Uladzimir Katkouski replied to me:

>> Thanks. Now that you mention it, I do remember reading about hard
>> /ch/ during my linguistic education way back when, but it had
>> slipped my mind. I would've remembered the hard /r/, though
>> ("прэм’ер Віктар Януковіч").
>>
>> Google yielded 341 hits for
>>         януковіч site:.by
>> but none at all for
>>         яныковіч site:.by
>> so I must assume your second "y" was a typo for "u" = Cyrillic у.
>
> Yes. That's a typo there.
>
> Btw, if you search Google with all the different endings in
> Belarusian spelling, you get about 5,500 pages:
>
> (Януковіч|Януковіча|Януковічам|Януковічу|Януковічы)

Thanks for the confirmation.

Sure feels strange after decades of adhering strictly to spelling rules
for soft ч in Russian to see the Belarusian endings. The instrumental
struck me as a dative plural at first, and the locative (once I got past
the impossibility of "чы"!) as a nominative plural.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com