Consorts of Russian tsars

Mourka Mourka at HVC.RR.COM
Sun Dec 19 14:34:59 UTC 2004

Dear Stephanie,

In Catherine's case, her name change from Sofia was because Elizabeth didn't want to make an association with Sofia, Peter the Great's sister, who was banned to a monastary for trying to take the throne away from Peter.  But generally, it is about the Russian Orthodox religion.  A person has to be named after a saint.

As to the Feodorovna, that is a good question which I don't know the answer yet, but I will find out.

Best,

Margarita