German angle

Mark Nuckols nuckols at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 21 01:11:44 UTC 2004

It's probably worth noting also "die Tschechoslowakei" and its fate after
the breakup of that political entity. There has never been a movement afoot
in Slovakia to get Germans to stop saying "die Slowakei," but given the
pejorative use of "die Tschechei" during the Nazi years, that has been
replaced with "Tschechien," as agreed upon (to my understanding) 1992-3 by
Austrian, Czech and German linguists and press agencies, and promoted by the
Czech government.

Mark E. Nuckols