revised hours survey

Stuart Goldberg stuart.goldberg at MODLANGS.GATECH.EDU
Thu Jan 15 15:17:47 UTC 2004

Hey, Ben,

Should have written you earlier, but here are Georgia Tech's numbers
(which sink your revised average even further).  2 fifteen-week
semesters.  1st year -- 3 hrs. 2nd year 3 hrs.  No third or fourth year.

I am not sure about your methodology.  Is it really fair or telling, for
instance, for our lack of a third-year course to enter a zero into the
average number of course hours per week for third year courses?  The
information about average total number of hours in the program is
definitely useful though.  Maybe you should use the data to calculate
average total number of course hours and then separate out the ones that
actually teach to give an average number of hours that a course is
taught if offered (or at least give this info in addition).

An update on Sonya's language:  She's now deep into the 2-5 stage that
Chukovskii writes about so beautifully.  Here are some of her latest
gems:  I ask if I should press down a lump of playdough -- Net, ty ne
davi, uzhe davitaia.  Bright berries on the street are called
BOFiny-VAFiny.  And the kicker -- Ia khochu "Moego Dodyra" !!!

Best,
Stuart