SUMMARY: Can _eve_ take a _-te_ suffix in Macedonian?

Loren A. Billings billings at NCNU.EDU.TW
Sat Jan 17 05:17:53 UTC 2004

Dear Colleagues,

Thanks to Christina Kramer (who wrote to me off-list) and Nina Olkova (whose
reply appears below. From Nina's example (translated as 'Here is the address
(for you-PL)'), even if the addressee is plural, there is no /-te/ added to
/eve/. Christina further clarifies the issue: "no evete."

Thanks to both of my respondents. In order not to cause unnecessary

On 1/17/04 12:34 PM, "Nina Olkova" <bokuryonok at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> No. "Eve vi go adresotot."
>
> Sincerely,
> Nina Olkova
>
> --- "Loren A. Billings" <billings at NCNU.EDU.TW> wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if _eve_ (a verb-like presentative element
>> that is often translated into English as 'here!" or 'here
>> you go!' or 'here you are!') can take the plural suffix
>> _-te_ (as in Russian _na_ to address a single, familiar
>> person vs. _nate_ to address a stranger or more than one
>> person). For example, I know that one can say _Eve ti ja_
>> (here! AgrIO.2sg AgrDO.3sg.f). Is it possible to say
>> something like _Evete vi ja_ (here! AgrIO.2pl AgrDO.3sg.f)?
>>
>> Best, --Loren

Loren A. Billings, Ph.D.
Associate professor of linguistics
Department of Foreign Languages and Literature
National Chi Nan University
Puli, Nantou County 545 Taiwan

E-mail: billings at ncnu.edu.tw