Siberia / NY Times

Wed Jan 28 21:02:08 UTC 2004

Benjamin Rifkin wrote:

> Dear SEELANGers:
>
> Today's New York Times has an article about efforts undertaken by the
> Russian government to encourage people living in the far north to
> relocate. The article may be found at
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/28/international/europe/28RUSS.html?8hpib
>
> There is an audio report at nytimes.com/world by Steven Lee Myers (with
> a slide show of images perhaps), but I was unable to access it with my
> poor command of technology:  www.nytimes.com/world

The NY Times requires you to register in order to receive their content,
and the only way they can tell is if you accept their cookies.

The audio link is just the author reading a two-minute summary of the
story. He starts off with a few stumbles, but warms up and gets through
most of it without difficulty. His pronunciation of Russian names such
as Noril'sk is entirely American. There is no slide show or other video,
only a still photo of someone walking the frozen streets of Noril'sk.

The link to this report uses javascript to pop up a daughter window, so
if you don't have javascript enabled, nothing will happen, and if you
use a pop-up blocker, you have to temporarily disable it. Once you get
there, the audio requires RealPlayer.

If you want to go there directly, without the javascript and popup
business, follow this link:
<http://www.nytimes.com/audiopages/2004/01/27/international/20040128_RUSS_AUDIOSS.html>

HTH

Paul B. Gallagher