East Slav's "Unity"

Russell Valentino russell-valentino at UIOWA.EDU
Wed Jul 7 19:00:01 UTC 2004

One finds a very similar set of ideas among apologists for South Slavic
unity, particularly in the interwar period. An example (from the
"Programme" of the London-based "Yugoslav Committee" published during WWI):
"The Southern Slavs or Jugoslavs, who include Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes,
are one and the same people, known under three different names." One of the
short-hand expressions for this at the time was the "three-named people."
The trope in both the South and East Slav cases probably has German
Romantic roots. There is a pretty extensive literature on this in the case
of Yugoslavia.

Russell Valentino