Children's Literature query

JENNIFER R TISHLER jtishler at WISC.EDU
Thu Jul 15 15:50:25 UTC 2004

Dear SEELANGers:

This query is especially directed at those of you with children or with an interest in children's literature. My colleagues in South Asian Studies and I are planning an event for 2005 called the "International Children's Literature Celebration." This is a one-day workshop devoted to literature for young people and includes presentations by the authors. Could anyone on SEELANGS recommend any children's authors whose books concern the cultures of Russia and/or East Europe and/or Central Asia? I am interested in a living author who writes with cultural sensitivity in English about these regions. By "children's literature" I mean anything from picture books for young children through longer books aimed at teens.

For information about the upcoming 2004 International Children's Literature Celebration, please follow the link below:
http://www.wisc.edu/southasiaoutreach/childlit/index.htm

I'm sure there must be some good books out there, but in our house we haven't gone much beyond "Goodnight Moon."

Many thanks for your help.

-Jennifer

---------------------------
Jennifer Ryan Tishler, Ph.D.
University of Wisconsin-Madison

Outreach Coordinator
Center for European Studies (CES)
Center for Russia, East Europe, and Central Asia (CREECA)
210 Ingraham Hall
1155 Observatory Drive
Madison, WI 53706
Phone: (608) 265-6298