Date of Chekhov's Death

goscilo goscilo+ at PITT.EDU
Fri Jul 16 13:56:31 UTC 2004

Dear Joe,

It is, indeed, "the old two calendars thing," as you put it (almost Bush
Sr.!): July 2 according to the Julian calendar (Old Style), which in the
20th century lags thirteen days behind the Gregorian (Western) calendar.  I
don't think one could expect Russians to alter their calendar because he
died in the West ("Ich sterbe..."), though it's a thought...

Helena

--On Friday, 16 July 2004 09:06 +0100 Joe Andrew
<j.m.andrew at LANG.KEELE.AC.UK> wrote:r