Anna & Oprah

Katerina P. King kpking at MTHOLYOKE.EDU
Thu Jun 3 15:45:57 UTC 2004

  Where, exactly, is the problem? With the translation or with Oprah? If
it takes Oprah to introduce Anna Karenina to the general reading public
she should be commended! It is not as if "we Slavists" are succeeding in
spreading the word about the Russian classics. Go Oprah!

Katya King

Michael Denner wrote:

>In case anyone missed the full-page New York Times advertisement in The
>Arts section of June 1, Anna Karenina (Pevear & Volokhonsky translation,
>Penguin Classics) has a certain honor of being chosen as Oprah's "Summer
>Selection."
>

>I'll bite my tongue.
>

>mad
>

>()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
>
>Dr. Michael A. Denner
>
>Russian Studies Program
>
>Stetson University
>
>Campus Box 8361
>
>DeLand, FL 32724
>
>386.822.7381 (department)
>
>386.822.7265 (direct line)
>
>386.822.7380 (fax)
>
>http://www.stetson.edu/~mdenner
>
>http://russianpoetry.net

Katerina P. King, Ph.D.
Mount Holyoke College
50 College Street
South Hadley, MA 01075-1456
Tel. (413)538-2080  Fax. (413)538-2081

***
There is not much danger that real talent or goodness
will be overlooked long.
- Louisa May Alcott