Moscow Metro announcements

Anne Lounsbery anne.lounsbery at NYU.EDU
Thu Jun 3 19:16:28 UTC 2004

If the last thirty or so years of literary theory have taught us anything,
it's that there's more than one way to read--and certainly more than one
right way to read.  Even secretaries reading Tolstoy over lunch (really, how
dare they?) might have good reasons for reading the way they do, and for
creating their own versions of the Tolstoy that some of us seem to think we
own.  I often start out my survey courses with reference to Oprah's Book
Club:  I point out that while the Oprah way to read is an entirely
legitimate one with a long and respectable history (i.e., reading for
self-improvement, or emotional release, or "community-building" ...), it's
not the way we're going to be reading for the class.  I find that this helps
introduce the goals and ground rules of the course while acknowledging that
the way I intend to make students read is, as we say, historically
conditioned.

As far as having to "share" Tolstoy, that's the fate of all printed texts:
they're shared.  That's what makes them both so powerful and so vulnerable.

Finally, there are more important things for us to do than inculcate in our
students a "respect of the man and his work."  And by the way, I love
Tolstoy.

Anne Lounsbery
Assistant Professor and Director of Graduate Study
Department of Russian and Slavic Studies
New York University
19 University Place, 2nd floor
New York, NY 10003

(212) 998-8674

>Excerpted from Michael Denner's posting:

Are we really doing the American public, Russian literature, or Slavistics a
favor with this kind of "PR"? I spend a not inconsiderable time and effort
"popularizing" Tolstoy here in the US, but I try to do so in a way that's
respectful of the man and his work.

It's good for a laugh, though, I suppose.

In the end, I'm ambivalent towards the issue - I suppose there are worse
things for secretaries to read over lunch, but the elitist, over-educated
part of me who loves Tolstoy beyond measure bristles a bit at having to
share him, at least on these terms.