Patronymics

John Freitag Isham jfi1 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Jun 10 16:57:12 UTC 2004

And we see a good example of this in the film *Moscow Does Not Believe in
Tears* (1979).  Katya somewhat suddenly and randomly chooses her newly
born daughter's name at her baby shower--and it's a name that differs from
the baby's actual father (But I can't quite remember if the shower is held
before or after the baby's birth in her case--and I'm also blanking on the
patronymic she picks.).  And indeed nobody at the shower asks any further
questions...

John Isham