ex-USSR nationalities in film (revised list)

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sun Jun 13 13:56:10 UTC 2004

>Actually, the list does include the film "Tabor ukhodit v nebo," the only film
>>from the ex-USSR that I am aware of in which Gypsies (Roma) are the
>protagonists. Could you recommend any other films from the former Soviet Union
>in which Roma characters play a substantial role? (I decided not to include in
>the list the numerous film adaptations of 19th-century Russian classics with
>bit-part appearances by Roma musicians).

There was a film "Tsygan" and then followed up by "Vozvrashchenie Budulaja"
where Budulaj is a Gypsy.

In the film "Karnaval" there is a small part played by a Gypsy woman but a
very positive one (for a change), as opposed to the film "Orel i reshka"
where there is tiny but a very negative part for the Gypsies.

 Alina Israeli
 LFS, American University
 4400 Mass. Ave., NW
 Washington, DC 20016