Rusinskij jazyk

Andriy Danylenko danylenko at JUNO.COM
Mon Jun 21 17:49:25 UTC 2004

It would be also instructive to provide some references of the opponents (reviews, articles, etc.) published not only under the auspices of the Carpstho-Rusyn Center, Rusynaska obroda, or edited by Prof. Magocsi, but also in Ukrainen (!) or at least by some independent publishers.

As for the Sagner publication, it sounds interesting. Thank you for the info. The rest is, unfortunately, not that much persvuasive from different points of view.

Andriy Danylenko
adanylenko at pace.edu

-- Elaine Rusinko <rusinko at UMBC.EDU> wrote:
I guess I should have known that just mentioning the Rusyn language would
provoke a discussion.  Not being a linguist, I refrain from participating,
but for those who are interested in the Rusyn language in Slovakia, the
following sources are recommended:

Stegherr, Marc. Das Russinische : Kulturhistorische und soziolinguistische
Aspekte. Munchen : O. Sagner, 2003.

Vanko, Juraj. The language of Slovakia's Rusyns. New York: Published under
the auspices of the Carpatho-Rusyn
Research Center, Distributed by Columbia University Press, 2000.

A new Slavic language is born : the Rusyn literary language of Slovakia.
Paul Robert Magocsi, editor ; with an introduction by Nikita I. Tolstoj.
Boulder: East European Monographs ; New York : Distributed by Columbia
University Press, 1996.

Orfografichnyi slovnyk rusynskoho iazyka : pryblyzhno 42000 slov. Zlozhyly
M. Hyriak ... et al. ; odpovidnyi redaktor Anna Plishkova. Priashiv :
Rusynska obroda, 1994.

Pravyla rusynskoho pravopysu / [Inshtitut rusynskoho iazyka i kultury pry
Rusynskii obrodi ; definitivnu upravu tsiloho tekstu robyv Vasyl IAbur.
Priashiv : Rusynska obroda, 1994.

Panko, Iurii. Rusynsko-rusko-ukrainsko-slovensko-polskyi slovnyk
lingvistichnykh terminiv. Priashov : Rusynska obroda, 1994.

For the history of the issue, see
Magocsi, P. R. "The Language Question among the Subcarpathian Rusyns," in
Ricardo Picchio and Harvey Goldblatt, eds., Aspects of the Slavic Language
Question, 2: 65-86.  New Haven, 1984.

and Magocsi's articles collected in
Of the Making of Nationalities There Is No End, 2 vols. Boulder: East
European Monographs; New York: Dist. Columbia University Press, 1999.

On the history of Rusyn literature in Subcarpathia, see my book
Straddling Borders: Literature and Identity in Subcarpathian Rus', Toronto:
University of Toronto Press, 2003.

Elaine Rusinko
Associate Professor of Russian
Department of Modern Languages