Rusinskij jazyk -- sources

Andriy Danylenko danylenko at JUNO.COM
Tue Jun 22 15:40:03 UTC 2004

-- Elaine Rusinko <rusinko at UMBC.EDU> wrote:
At 05:49 PM 6/21/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>It would be also instructive to provide some references of the opponents
>(reviews, articles, etc.) published not only under the auspices of the
>Carpstho-Rusyn Center, Rusynaska obroda, or edited by Prof. Magocsi, but
>also in Ukrainen (!) or at least by some independent publishers.
>
>As for the Sagner publication, it sounds interesting. Thank you for the
>info. The rest is, unfortunately, not that much persvuasive from different
>points of view.
>
>Andriy Danylenko
>adanylenko at pace.edu

Dear Andriy,

In Of the Making of Nationalities There Is No End (Vol. 2, pp. 39-65),
Magocsi includes criticism by Vasyl Markus of his (Magocsi's) 1978 book,
The Shaping of a National Identity: Subcarpathian Rus' 1848-1948. Included
also is the ensuing polemic, in which several Ukrainians participated (pp.
66-112). This wide-ranging discussion touches on language, among other
questions.

You might also be interested in The Persistence of National Cultures:
Rusyns and Ukrainians in their Carpathian Homeland and Abroad, edited by
Magocsi, which includes articles by Oleksa Myshanych (member of Ukrainian
Academy of Sciences) and Mykola Mushynka (Head, Research Center for
Ukrainian Studies at Presov University), the two most outspoken critics of
Rusyn. I'm sure you would find any of their work interesting.

Perhaps you can direct me to some Ukrainian references that include the
Rusyn point of view.

Elaine

Elaine Rusinko
Associate Professor of Russian