kartavnie

Ernest Scatton scattone at ALBANY.EDU
Wed May 5 11:43:45 UTC 2004

The ordinary Russian [r], as I'm sure you know, is a trill. To make it
involves a lot of complex articulatory juggling. And there is plenty of
evidence to suggest that it ranks relatively high in the scale of
complexity and difficulty. For example, trills take longer to acquire than
many other sounds. And, fact is, some speakers never do acquire them, and
so have to find something to substitute for them. By the way, the Czech
"r" in Dvorak, for example (excuse lack of diacritic), is in the same
category...but apparently even moreso. By the way you can also see the
"problem" in the trouble lots of students of Russian have producing
Russian [r].

One maybe related point: English [r]...which isn't trilled...is also
pretty troublesome, as shown by the number of English speakers that have
difficulty acquiring it, if they ever do.

If you're interested in more info, I'll send you some references if you
contact me offlist.

Ernie Scatton