kartavnie

Kris Groberg kgroberg at FARGOCITY.COM
Wed May 5 15:23:04 UTC 2004

Patrick.Seriot at SLAV.UNIL.CH wrote:

> Just one question : the Spanish or Italian [r] is the same as
> Russian. Is the phenomenon of kartavanie there as common as in Russia?
> One the other side, Jewish Russian speakers are said to use the velar
> [r] more often.
> Any suggestion?

I only have personal knowledge. I studied Spanish from middle school through
grad school, and I could never roll my r's. When I started Russian, I
couldn't do it in this language either. Lo' these many years later, I still
can't. So I'm grateful for all these posts that tell me, essentially, that
it might just be my tongue (not my brain) that is to blame.

--
Kris

Kristi A. Groberg, Ph.D.
3021-23rd Avenue South West, Unit H