References on Brodsky

Nila Friedberg nfriedbe at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Wed Nov 3 19:15:36 UTC 2004

Dear Dr. Horvat,
This is regarding your question on Brodsky.
Here is some recent work on Brodsky (I am sorry if you know all or part
of it, and I am sorry if I missed anything):

Elena Petrushanskaja (2004), Muzykalnyj mir Iosifa Brodskogo. Zvezda,
Sankt Peterburg.

Loseff, L and Polukhina, V. (2002). Kak rabotaet stixotvorenie Brodskogo.
Moskva Novoje Literaturnoe obozrebie.

G. Smith. The versification of Joseph Brodsky 1988-1989
 The Slavonic and East European Review   1 July 2002, vol. 80, no. 3,  pp.
417-438(22). There is also a paper on versification in 1990-1992. See the
website: http://www.ingenta.com

D. MacFadyen (2002), Joseph Brodsky and the Soviet muse

Polukhina, Valentina. 2000. Joseph Brodsky: Bolshaja kniga intervju.
Zakharov:
        Moskva.

Michael Wachtel's book (1998) The development of Russian verse: meter and
its meanings" also has a chapter on Brodsky.

Friedberg, Nila (2002). The rhythm of exile: rhythm and semantics in
Brodsky's iambic verse. Die Welt der Slaven, vol. 47 (2), 275-306. Munich.

Friedberg, NIla (2002). 'Foreign flavour' in Brodsky's verse. In: K.
Kueper (ed.), Meter, rhythm and perform-ance, 373-384. Frankfurt am Main:
Peter Lang.

Among recent talks are:
Michael Wachtel. Joseph Brodsky Reads Iosif Brodskij: A Part of Speech and
the Poetics
of Translation. Talk presented at AATSEEL:
www.aatseel.org/program/aatseel/2000/abstract-107.html

Lotman, Mikhail. 1999. Chetyrexstopnyj jamb Brodskogo. Paper presented at
the annual
conference Comparative Slavic Metrics. Warsaw: Polish Academy of Sciences:
Warsaw.

And I am sure you are aware of the 1995 volume of Russian Literature where
there are various articles (Russian literature 37. 2-3), as well as the
1999 volume (L. Loseff and V. Polukhina,. 1999. Joseph Brodsky: The art of
a poem, ed.  New York: St. Martin's Press.)

Best,

Nila Friedberg
Assistant Professor of Russian
Department of Foreign Languages