free Russian t-shirts for your students, materials for you

Laura Janda lajanda at EMAIL.UNC.EDU
Tue Nov 9 13:42:12 UTC 2004

Dear Colleagues,
        Thanks to a pilot grant from the National Science Foundation, and the
remarkable talents of the Institute for Science Learning here at UNC-CH, I
have been working on the creation of interactive materials for the teaching
of Russian aspect to 2nd and 3rd year students (based on the model I
published in SEEJ last year). We have prepared a demo containing some
lovely animations, authentic examples, audio recorded by native speakers,
and interactive exercises. At this point it would be helpful to gather
input and data from students. I would like to ask whether you would be
willing to volunteer to integrate these materials into your 2nd and/or 3rd
year Russian courses in the spring of 2005. Here is some relevant
information:
-       all students (and instructors!) who complete the materials (including the
survey at the end) will be eligible to receive a t-shirt with the beautiful
“Aspect in Russian” design (in Russian!)
-       all students who participate will complete a pre-test and a post-test
consisting of 15 questions each (similar to the sentences presented in the
materials), plus a survey
-       some of the classes will be “experimental” (which means that they will
use the materials between the pre- and post-tests) and some will be
“control” (but these classes will gain access to the materials after they
complete the post-test)
-       we will ask that all classes take the pre-test 3 weeks into the semester,
and then take the post-test 4 weeks after the pre-test
-       you may preview the materials, about half of which are already available,
at http://isl.unc.edu/russian/ (or, alternatively, you can get in through
my homepage:
 www.unc.edu/~lajanda -- go to the last link: Current Version of
MediaModule)
-       I and my representatives will be available at the exhibit space at the
AATSEEL in Philadelphia to answer specific questions
Thank you very much for considering this for your courses. We hope to use
the data and input to improve the existing materials and also to apply for
further funding to create more materials.
        --laura janda