Eighteenth Century Russia

james zug jzug at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Nov 10 15:29:27 UTC 2004

I have a few questions from a layman (me) about Russian vocabularly. I am writing a book
about an eighteenth-century American traveling in Siberia.

1. Siberia. What exactly does the word mean?
2. Sibirnji: I have that translated (is it spelled correctly?) as "cruelty" in Russian?
3. Do you know off-hand whether the word for Russian fur trader is promyshlenniki or
promyshleniki? I see it both ways.
4. Do you know about kabitkas? They were the carriages pulled along the postal routes across
Russia. I can't seem to find out if they were open carriages or closed carriages.