On-line information about Hungarian dialects?

Loren A. Billings billings at NCNU.EDU.TW
Thu Nov 11 01:27:54 UTC 2004

Dear SEELangs colleagues (cc: Athena),

A student of mine is interested in writing a paper on Hungarian dialects.
It's for a paper in a course on historical linguistics. I suggested that if
she found data on several modern dialects spoken in and around Hungary, she
could apply the comparative method.

Unfortunately, very little published material is available from within
Taiwan's inter-library system. Aside from a reference grammar published by
Routledge, which appears to contain no data on non-standard varieties, she
has uncovered only the following source:

Siptár Péter & Törkenczy Miklós. 2000. The phonology of Hungarian. Oxford
University Press.

A section entitled "Dialect variation" contains a brief paragraph about each
of eight dialects: Western, Transdanubian, Alföld, Duna-Tisza, Northwestern,
Northeastern, Trans-Királyhágó, and Székely.

She and I also tried to search on line for sources as well. Neither of us
reads Hungarian, so nothing accessible turned up in our search. I'm
wondering if anyone knows of any materials that may have eluded us.

Please write to my student, Athena <s0104040 at ncnu.edu.tw>, or me if you have
any tips. Thanks in advance, --Loren

Loren A. Billings, Ph.D.
Associate professor of linguistics
Department of Foreign Languages and Literature
National Chi Nan University
Puli, Nantou County 545 Taiwan