Platonov translation problem

DBH khrysostom at YAHOO.COM
Fri Nov 12 16:18:20 UTC 2004

Dear Mr. Browne,
  It seems to me that there's no need for an 'epithet'
for the action of dying (die down/over/etc.).  The
phrase is completely non-standard in Russian -- you
don't want it to sound more correct in English.  This
is one of those happy moments where the literal
translation is best: "I'll be dying to you soon" or
"I'll die to you soon."
  I'm curious to see what you choose!
  J. W. Narins
  UCLA